Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Attached

So I put up my cd's on market place. Around 88 of them. And someone offered me 40 euro's for it. And even though that's just about the utmost fair price I can get for them, my mind is screaming 'nooooo'.

They take up one drawer in a closet that is fairly empty for the rest of it (despite of my socks and underwear). I think with ditching the cd's and relocating the rest of what's in the closet, I might even be able to ditch the whole drawer closet completely. More space, less stuff.

All of the cd's are also on my computer in mp3. What's even worse, I don't even have a way of playing a cd anyway since I don't own anything that eats cd's anymore; selling off my mac usb superdrive was the last of it.

While I think of it, the last time I ever listened to a cd anyway was over three years ago. In a different life, it feels.

So why is my mind telling me not to let go? Last year I thought about making a piece of art of them, by putting them out on a metal square with magnets in the boxes. Cool enough. Yet I didn't do it. They just moved with me from my parent's home to my bought (and debted) home, from there to my first rental place and from there to my current whereabout.

I gave around half of my collection (yes, there where far more cd's...) away to the thrift shop. Those were the cd's without any emotions attached to them, I guess.
The latter half, still taking up a drawer and not having them out of their boxes ever anymore, seem to mean something to me. Inthere was my first cd what so ever, my Dave Matthews Band cd's (oh how I love them), my Alanis Morrissette cd's, my jazz, my pop, my rock, my movie music cd's...

The even more bizarre thing is that I don't even listen to most of the music anyway, not even on my computer. I feel it's more some kind of strange attachment to some kind of old feeling like when I was in my teenage years and in my twenties. Just like the Lego my mum shoved in my hands when my parents moved from one home to another last year and they wanted to de-clutter (obviously, I can understand how they found it a priority to get their kids to take their stuff since none of us where living there anymore for over five years anyway...). Seeing those bricks, seeing the components of that amazing crane I bought together with my dad when I wasn't even twelve yet, for some reason I tend to get stuck in those feelings when trying to get rid of stuff in my life. It would be better to visit my parents and to go to concerts of bands instead of keeping things around for no reason at all, but for some reason I just can't let go of it. Yet...

Dammit, how can I declutter when I can't even detach?


No comments:

Post a Comment