Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Transportation

I've got a confession to make. Three weeks into my study I witnessed an accident on the highway. Two cars right before me crashed into each other flipping one of those cars on the side. Luckily there where many people coming to the rescue and the people in the car weren't injured heavily, but it was a great shock to see it happen front-row.


Driving a little bug of a car myself to Amsterdam every day (driving over a hundred kilometers a day) while studying kind of made me come to the conclusion I wasn't safe in the busy traffic these days. It's fall also with lots of rain and ever more dark weather while we're diving into winter again so I thought of what to do.

Luckily a friend of mine is working a lot with Volvo's (how much safer do you want to be?) and he could make me a good deal on a third-hand car he just got in. I trust him a lot, so even though this car costs me more then I was willing to pay (if at all, since I don't have a job right now and I hadn't budgeted this of course, most savings were ment for covering costs during this period and my occasional yearly spendings) I thought it over and knew this was a good deal for now. It's got good kilometrage and is in excellent condition, so even though it might set me down a bit further now, it will still retain a lot more value then buying something more 'budget' which will in the end set me back a lot further. I butchered one of my savings accounts and got myself a new car!

It's a great car, I'm loving it and definitely like being safe and sound on the road despite the rain and winter stuff that's still to come. I don't know if it's a keeper, it's pretty thirsty and a bit to big so it depends on my future work location in February, but for now it's great, making me get to school and back home well rested and safe.

Bye bye savings, but what's in savings when they don't save my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment