Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Little more cash, little less spending

I am lucky for being employed at a stable employer. Of course, no more need for employment is one of my long term goals (starting with no longer being financial dependent on work but being able to pick the jobs I like for how long I like them), but untill that day comes I can't really complain. If I do my job I'm supposed to do I get a small raise every year, and with our company having a new collective work agreement everyone will get 3,2% more from this day on and another 1% next year february.

This leaves me with the possibility to pay off more of my debt. I am thinking about raising the step up to 600 a month, where this was 500 a month. I think this will hardly be a difference in my current budget / spending, but over the next 18 months I still have to go that will mean I'm done about 3 months earlier.

I still hope to sell my electronic drumset somewhere near since that would create a bump of around 1,5K setting me forward another 3 months or so, which will in total add up to me being done with this debt somewhere next summer. Even though that is a major leap forward supposed to the seven years I had to go, it still gets me upset a couple of times a day because I still feel trapped in my current situation. A situation I can't get out of any more early than I'm currently trying.

To beat the system a little more, I quit my Netflix account, saving me 7,99 a month. I wasn't looking much Netflix anyway the last months so why pay for it.

My biggest jump into the deep is yet to be made... that is getting rid of my Volvo and torturing myself (or is it treating myself?) with a 1996 Toyota Starlet. I found one at a local dealer near my parents which I thrust. The thing sets me back around 1K, which I hope to sell my Volvo for but they don't sell that easy nowadays. Anyway. I am giving up cruise control, climate control (there's even no air conditioning in the thing), electric windows, electric mirrors and any kind of comfort there was in the Volvo. But, I AM saving 40 euro's EVERY MONTH on road taxes only. And with a mileage of somewhere around 7 liters per 100 km I think I'll be able to save up to 50 euro's in gas a month. So, combined... 90 euro's a month saved.  That means I might be able to up my down payments next month to 700 a month. Which might save me another 3 months making me being ready with this terrible feeling anywhere around next year may or something. Hell I would LOVE that.

With a bit of luck (ok, expectations there...) the starlet is low-cost on maintenance too. This will mean I don't have to spend a lot on maintenance. Since the thing comes with a year of road approval I don't have to worry too much for the first year and hey... if things are going according to plan, I'll be debt free by than and being able to save all the euro's I'm currently throwing away in the deepest hole I ever dug for myself...

Anyone wants a Volvo by the way? Really reliable car! It's a bargain! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment