Monday, June 27, 2016

The Big Car Hussle

It's going to happen. A 1m89cm guy is going to be driving around in a Dihatsu Cuore soon.
I might have to cut a hole in the roof but hey, it's summer anyway.

I was looking around for a Toyota Starlet given the excellent build quality. I found one 20 years old with just under 200K km's. Fairly doable and drove like madness. But they still asked 950 for it. That's fair, but then a friend showed me a 17 year old Cuore bought from its first owner with only 70K km's. A tiny bit smaller (hence, 4 euro's less a month in car taxes) and an even smaller engine (hence extraordinary km per liter!).

Ok, smaller = even less space and a smaller engine means more engine noise while going any faster than 100 km/h but hey. I wanted to go cheap?? Only a scooter, biking or walking are going to be cheaper and they don't let me take my drums with me.

With this kind of car I'm only a couple of hundred euro's above public transportation costs I calculated if I went completely car-less. I know, that's like somewhere around 15-20K I need to reserve extra if I tend to keep doing this the rest of my life. Yet this gives me far and far less travel time anywhere and does keep me being able to play the drums in some bands.

Yes. Bands. That's maybe the next step. I am more and more looking at my life and deciding whether things give or cost me energy (and money). Work is my main energy-leak but for now I simply need it for covering my expenses and saving towards a comfortable level. Of course I keep my eyes open but I'm not going to give up my current conditions for the first thing that comes by looking any better. So my next step was transportation (hope to check that off the list soon) and than bands. I already quit one of them, but I feel like I am not playing for my own pleasure anymore. That might change again in the future, but I feel my life is moving towards another path and I want to absolutely minimize all my costs.

Currently this hobby costs me around 850 euro's yearly due to travelling and rehearsal with nothing in return besides social contacts. Of course, they matter TO!! Yet feeling less energetic after making music is new to me and I wonder why that is.

Perhaps I'm just in desperate need of a vacation... but I really need to investigate this somewhat further. Maybe I can part-time quit and have a second drummer who also wants to go half-way round with it just to get a taste of less drumming, more free time, who knows.

Anyone know a good drummer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment