Saturday, January 9, 2016

Private Investigations

Dududududumdumdum... always reminds me of the Dire Straights... Cool song. And I love cool songs.

What I don't love is my recent confrontation with my personal finance situation. I wanted to get a grip on things, and since I'm working with yearly budgets in my professional life, why not apply them to my personal life too? Well, because of what I told you... it's confronting.


As you all know, I am in debt. Mainly, because me and my ex split up halfway through 2013 leaving her and me with a mortgage to split and since the housing market collapsed shortly after she and I bought a house together we where in trouble for about 50K. There where some things we invested in the house so when all was settled, that left her with the house and not so much money left in her savings account and me with a 19K debt. Yay. With monthly payments of around $ 200 for the next 120 months. Duh what? Yeah. It's like being chained to a fence. I had the choice of a total due time of 5 years, yet the monthly payments would be around $ 400 and at that time with my job back then, there would simply be no life left (well ok, that's the way I felt...).

So on and on it went, I worked and paid. With our vacation money paid I made an extra down-payment, yet that was about it. Later on, with my new job, my income went up, yet also went my traveling costs (since I had a company car before...). Yet, on the long run, work improvement meant personal improvement and income improvement was a bonus. So all was for the better.

Time went on and I managed to make some little extra down-payments but not much. So this month I came up with the idea to analyze my complete income and spending over the last two years. And ouch did it hurt. It's not like I'm spending more than I could pay, but there was no improvement whatsoever. I just let ends meet (and sometimes I didn't and make up for it with a little amount of my savings or with next month...). I knew this wasn't right, but I also didn't have the guts to do something about it.

So. In terms of facts... this is how it's going...



With my income barely covering this, any extra expense would likely run me over and kill me (sort of speaking). Time to make a change!

But how..............................................?!


No comments:

Post a Comment