Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Heavy enlightment

Ok. So it's been over a month since I published my first post about personal finance. I must say that the more it gets to me, the more heavy it is on my shoulders. As a matter of fact, I find myself a prisoner of my own debt. It feels as if there's no way out, I have to work and maintain a straightforward income in order to pay of my debt. I'm not even talking about saving for personal freedom, I'm just barging through my negative net worth.


Good news, I managed to get out of my gym plan for free by transferring it to someone else. This means no penalty on quitting. I manage to do some basic workout at home and try to go biking and do other free exercises  for now. Anyway, everything I do is more than before since I paid 35 euro monthly for a gym plan I didn't use for the past eight months. Up the chimney it goes as I will be using it to seriously hurt my loans... :-)

Financial update so far. August flew by me, I didn't make the monthly payment I wanted to do but I made up for that today. I adjusted my safety buffer, for now I think 2000 will do with my current life. It's a small risk but I'm willing to take it for now. For making up with August, I managed to pay a total of 1000 euro's into the debt department. There is a small trip to Oslo planned next week so I want to have a little bit of vacation-al freedom, but whatever is left by the end of this month will go back into my safety buffer.

Facts for day 40-something of a plan upto 2030...

Personal net worth today... NEGATIVE €  -15.645,21

Consisting of...
- Personal debt due to separation in 2013 € -15.810,30
- Student loan € -1.834,91
- Personal savings account € 2.000,00

I will continue to pay of an extra € 300,- monthly into my personal debt, yet I want to go to € 200,- monthly into my student loan. Adding this to my obliged down-payments I am getting rid of my debt at a rate of 750 euro monthly. At this time I think that's comfortable, and even now I am finding it hard to believe that, instead of using this money wisely for saving, I HAVE to use it to get rid of my financial abyss.....

Good news though, I made some alterations on my spending and found out I overlooked something. Adjusting my sheet tells me that, IF I stick to my plan, can be debt free somewhere around the first half year of 2018. This of course is a welcome motivator!

As far as car and housing are concerned, neither one are a big option right now. Investing in a car within my current savings would be stupid, I've got a thrust-able vehicle and don't want to trade it for a cheaper yet unreliable one. I am looking for houses in the Rotterdam area, yet rents are killing there and buying isn't much of an option right now.

I am looking for options to sell some of my stuff in my house to get rid of my student loan as fast as possible, as I really want to feel less drowning in debt. This feeling is killing me and I never quite knew it had this kind of impact on me.

I'm still a long way from zero but I love the feeling of getting in control.

Bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment