Sunday, February 5, 2017

Decluttering, the sequel

A while ago I wrote a short post on a possible solution for decluttering. It worked with my clothing; just getting it out of the closet and into a pile made me feel better and better about just getting stuff out of the way. So I bagged it up and took it to the Red Cross container. With my CD's and Lego it didn't really work that good. I still just can't seem to let go of my old Lego since I'm in one way or another attached to the darned thing. And if attachment isn't all of it, it simply also does look AWESOME
with it's 9V compressor, pneumatic working cylinders making it's crane turn and move in any way you possibly want.

Awesome...
Totay I did manage to shrink my CD collection a bit further (32,5% further, just for the record), so now my original collection of 200 shrunk down to 80 the last time I gave over half of them away to the thrift shop and now I'm left with the remaining 55. All 55 of them I can't play anyway since I don't have anything left in my home that can play cd's. And, to make things even more surrealistic, I do have all of my CD's in MP3 on a harddrive somewhere. Too bad you can't rip your Lego into a digital playground (and no, please don't tell me you can... If that's the case I still really don't want to know...).

So now I've got a fair list of random stored stuff in my home I actually don't do anything with anymore and still keep it laying around for no reason.

Lego (there's a bit more than just the crane. There's about two boxes full of it).
CD's and a couple of DVD's (put them with the 32,5% since I won't be watching them anyway).
My clothes are a lot further down since I'm building up a really nice combine-everything style, but there's more to gain there. So I need to go through them every once and a while.
Kitchen utilities. I've got a lot of wine glasses, big drinking glasses, a couple of pastry plates, bowls and more of that kind of stuff. Of course I do use some of it, but every freakin' piece of glass or ceramics seems to come in boxes of six. I guess I'll just get rid of some of them too, they're just taking up cupboard space.
Books. But these are more or less all mindfulness books which I still pick up every now and than and still read. Maybe pour them through the decluttering filter once again.
Tools. A man loves his tools. I've got a nice big Stanley case full of tools. And I'm going to keep all of 'em. Because I just love to have my tools around if anything needs fixing. And since it's a nice case the policy is, if it still fits, it can stay.

It'll close. My size 10.5 will make sure it does.
There is other stuff laying around near my tools, though. Some light-bulb fittings and more of those 'you never know' items. I'll sort that stuff out too I guess.
Old winter-sport clothing. I still keep these around since I'm hoping my brother wants to come with me one day. I'm waiting for three years now and he just had his first child (well, actually his wife had their baby, but I hope you get the point). I might just as well get rid of it.
Old underwear and socks. Okay, I did a major sweep there already. I guess another sifting around might do the trick.

I think for the next few months, the principle will be to fill one box at a time and just never go through the items in the box again. Bring the box to the thrift shop and get on with life with a little more space around me and in my mind. Even though I do want to get rid of more and more, it still does feel scary. It's like I'm reducing my personality more and more. Which really is nonsense in every way since stuff doesn't define us and keeping stuff simply for the sake of keeping it is just nuts anyway.

But how to get myself over the Lego...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment